Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Weekly 6 Pack



I know this one is a little late, but you'll probably get 2 this week because of it...

Mother Love Bone: Chloe Dancer/Crown Of Thorns


Lets start with a classic. I'm not sure if many of you know the history of this band, but if you don't you will now. Mother Love Bone was one of the huge "buzz bands" of Seattle in the late 80's/early 90's. They weren't quite grunge and they weren't quite hair metal, they blended a bit of each that ended up sounding a lot like Zepp. Unfortunately the lead singer (surprise!) ODed.

Luckily a few key members (Jeff Ament & Stone Gossard) decided to keep on truckin', eventually forming Pearl Jam. This song is still played by PJ at a few live shows, it really caught my attention on the (fantastic) Singles soundtrack.

Buy some Mother Love Bone
.

The You: I'm Going To Kill Myself


I was sent this track the other day and I'm absolutely loving it. I plan on doing a bigger feature of these guys but this is all I have for now. Nothing too out of the ordinary, sounds a little like The Shins to me.

Visit their website
.

The Mars Volta: Asilos Magdalena

Here's another new track, this one off the forthcoming album Amputechture by The Mars Volta. It comes out on my birthday - August 22nd - Hooray!

Visit their website.
Buy some Mars Volta.

Neil Young: After The Gold Rush

Neil's what started my songwriting engine back in my pre-teen years. I've always loved this song, it can really bring a tear to the eye.

Visit Neil's website.
Buy some Neil Young.

Semisonic: Secret Smile

Although everyone thinks of these guys as "that band who sings Closing Time" I always hoped that this song would eventually overtake it. It never did it really should have. Semisonic was always able to find that perfect blend of pop and 90's alt-rock, this one really is the pinnacle.

Buy some Semisonic.

Pete Yorn: Lions

I know that I blog a ridiculous amount about Pete Yorn but you all just get to deal with it. If I would have started this blog a few years ago I probably wouldn't blog so much about him. As they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder. This one is from his "released only at shows EP" Westerns. You can find the whole thing over at a fellow PJ lovin' blogger's site.

Visit Pete's website
.
Buy some Pete Yorn
.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thispost is very old but I found it looking for semisonic. secret smile is wonderful and under rated!

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home