Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Howie Day: Live and Solo


If you would have asked me to name off my favorite bands 3 years ago, Howie would have been #2. With the release of his second album and the explosion of Collide he's managed to not only drop in the rankings, but he's also been nearly exterminated from my iPod as a result.

Since I've been doing some spring cleaning on my iPod (only 3MB available) I was about to delete these Howie live cuts, but thankfully I decided to listen to them first.

Let me preface this by saying yes, I know that Howie has all but sold out now. I know that Collide sucks, I know. Believe me - if anyone knows these things, I do. I was looking forward to seeing him play in SLC last year as if The Beatles were coming. After the show I wanted to burn the Howie Day shirt I had purchased - that's how much it killed me to see his transformation into the mainstream.

I just can't get past his former greatness. He was at his best when it was just him with his looping pedals. If you've only heard Collide, listen to these tracks. It should give you some respect for the man.

Howie Day, live in Boston, MA 4/28/2002

Disc 1
[mp3]Intro
[mp3]Sorry, So Sorry
[mp3]She Says>One
[mp3]Ghost>Beams of Light*
[mp3]Morning After
[mp3]After You*
[mp3]Buzzing>Africa>Buzzing*
[mp3]Disco
[mp3]The Drugs Don't Work

Disc 2
[mp3]Kristina
[mp3]Bunnies*
[mp3]Slow Down
[mp3]Impressions/Covers
[mp3]Secret
[mp3]More You Understand
[mp3]Madrigals*
[mp3]Encore Break
[mp3]Sweet*

See Howie's official website.
Buy some Howie Day.
If you want a lossless version of this show just check out the Live Music Archive.

*HIGHLY recommended.

4 Comments:

Blogger craiye said...

Like I said - I know that Collide sucks. You should listen to those tracks I recommended before bashing though, Howie had some excellent stuff.

A Mason post is coming soon, no worries.

11:57 PM  
Blogger Stu said...

Yep, 3 years ago Howie Day would've been my #1. Without a doubt. Oh the memories...After You is my favorite song from that era, highly recommended.

5:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

late post, I know. I saw Howie Day on one of his solo shows. Fantastic. I'm struggling to find an album that has his solo stuff on it, but no luck. Wish he'd stuck with his roots...

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw Howie live (he opened for Tori Amos one year) and he was amazing. This was in the pre-Collide days, and he sounded like a young Bono. I tried to explain this to people but soon gave up when his studio albums sounded so insipid. He was definitely at his best when he was live. I must have listened to a live "Sorry, So Sorry" about a thousand times. --zh. from bon ton (bonton.sweetdarkness.com)

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home