Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Adam Elk: Labello



Adam Elk's solo debut (Labello) in 1999 is an album that you should have, but probably don't. Adam spent most of the 1990's fronting The Mommyheads and playing a minor role in the 90's indie/alternative movement headed by the likes of Pavement. It seems that his solo album sank through the cracks, much as his work with The Mommyheads did.

Labello is a beautiful pop album. This isn't modern day pop - this is your grandad's pop. Well crafted hooks, excellent production and enough funk and soul to satisfy any child of the 70's. It's really too bad that this album didn't come out about 2 years later when Maroon 5 cashed in on the same formula.

Anyways, if you like 70's funk or if you like Maroon 5 but you're too cool to admit it, check out Adam Elk. Nobody knows him, so it's cool...

[mp3] Big Wheel
[mp3] Too Much of Nothing
[mp3] Feeding a Jealous Mind

Buy Labello here.
This is the only page I could find devoted to Adam Elk...
Go here for more information about The Mommyheads.

5 Comments:

Blogger Stu said...

I'm glad you put Feeding a Jealous Mind up there, since it's undoubtedly one of the best songs I've ever heard.

6:56 PM  
Blogger craiye said...

Wow, that's bold words. I will say that it's the best crafted song on the album...it just flows SO well. It's perfectly produced, it's just what pop/rock should be...

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adam Elk is AWESOME. He happened to open for Tenacious D a few years back and I just fell in love with the music. That was years ago and I still love the music. Unfortunately, Adam Elk seems to have vanished into thin air. I google his name every so often but no new information ever emerges. My favorite songs are Love Money, Maybe You Faked it and Hay, but really the entire album is awesome

12:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too absolutely adore Adam Elk. I saw him a few years ago in Los Angeles when he opened for Tenacious D. I was there to see TD but Adam Elk stole the night. He was awesome. I google his name all the time hoping to find out what he's up to but with no luck. It's really sad that a guy that talented doesn't "make it".

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found out about Adam Elk years ago, Big Wheel was on a comp demo album by Kneeling Elephant Records. I immediately bought Labello to find out that I had been infatuated with the weakest song by Adam Elk after hearing the rest of the album. One of my top ten albums of all time.

Today I just found a new? song by Adam Elk called No One Gives a Damn (About Your Band) that is a sweet fresh track to anyone like me who played Labello a million times over and over.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home